APIA Vote Executive DirectorINSTITUTION: Asian & Pacific Islander American Vote (APIAVote)
LOCATION: Washington, DC
DEADLINE: March 14, 2008
ABOUT APIAVOTE: Founded in 1996, APIAVote is a national nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that encourages and promotes civic participation of Asian Pacific Islander Americans in the electoral and public policy processes at the national, state and local levels. APIAVote envisions a society in which all Asian and Pacific Islander Americans fully participate in and have access to the democratic process.
The Executive Director of APIAVote will report to the board of directors and manage a team of professionals and staff appropriate to the scope and scale of the organization’s work.
The Executive Director of APIAVote will have the primary responsibility of leading the organization through:
- Coalition building and collaboration
- Promote strategic alliances and collaborations with organizational and institutional partners, including other nonprofits, civic groups, businesses, and government entities within the civic participation field to promote a long-term civic participation agenda that is inclusive of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.
- Build APIA Vote to become an effective national coalition of local and national organizations that carry out a unified civic participation campaign.
- Establish APIA Vote as a leader in convening diverse Asian American and Pacific Islander communities to project a unified voice.
- Develop and oversee all programs and field work of APIA Vote.
- Oversee implementation of the Norman Y. Mineta Training Institute.
- Oversee the implementation of the 2008 multi-state electoral field plan.
- Support local communities efforts to build capacity for carry out sustained civic participation campaigns.
- Strategize and oversee APIAVote’s communications program, including:
- Leading the effort to create and implement a broad-based public relations and, media campaign to raise funds and awareness.
- Evaluate and develop long term communications strategy and capacity for the organization.
- Establish a bold and compelling case for support and presentation, set ambitious but reachable revenue goals and design, implement and manage a comprehensive development program.
- Develop, manage and monitor organization’s finances, financial plans, budgets, and cash flow.
- Develop and continue to implement necessary business systems (i.e. budgeting, accounting, personnel policies, etc.)
- Ensure financial, legal, and ethical responsibility within the organization.
- Hire, manage and evaluate staff and contractors, and provide supervision to senior and administrative staff, ensuring that staff have adequate resources, training and support.
- Develop and manage thoughtfully articulated long-range strategic and annual operating plans for the organization.
- Identify and articulate high priority needs, both fundraising and programmatic, that advance the mission of APIAVote’s programs.
- Monitor and evaluate the organization’s performance on a regular basis.
- Maintain strong and effective relations with the Board of Directors by providing thoughtful and timely information.
- Provide support to Board committees and assist with Board cultivation and development.
This position requires a motivated individual with experience in financial management and oversight, strategic planning, civic engagement, community organizing and fundraising at the national level. Excellent communication and presentation skills are required. Ability to manage staff and resources efficiently is critical.
The ideal candidate must have:
Experience working with Asian American and Pacific Islander communities and possess an advanced understanding of the issues of importance to AAPI communities across the nation.
Experience fundraising and managing fiscal budgets, which may include but not be limited to the following:
- Solid experience in the entire range of development activities.
- Established track record in identification, cultivation and solicitation of grants and donations from individuals, foundations, and corporations.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and oversight including planning, analysis, and reporting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills:
- Demonstrated skill as an articulate communicator and spokesperson
- Experience with press/media, ability to convey a message in the public arena.
- Represent the vision, mission, and goals of APIAVote to key stakeholders, including funders.
- Organizational and community leadership experience, which may include but not be limited to the following:
- Ability to establish strong collaborative working relationships across and between organizations and key stakeholders including staff, board, volunteers, donors, media, and community leaders.
- Significant experience working with and inspiring a diverse staff, board members, and volunteers in a business or non-profit environment.
- Leading a team in a major organizing campaign.
- Additional skills and attributes:
- Strategic planning and business skills, including ability to respond rapidly to changing conditions.
- High level energy with a "can-do" attitude.
- Well-versed with technology.
- Ability to travel.
- Specific experience in political mobilization and civic education.
- 5 years of experience working in the nonprofit sector with minimum 2 years of senior management experience preferred.
- Bachelor's degree required. Relevant advanced degree preferred.
SEND RESUMES TO: [email protected]
Asian & Pacific Islander American Vote
1666 K Street NW, Suite 440
Washington, D.C. 20006
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Please visit www.apiavote.org or send an inquiry to [email protected]
DEADLINE: March 14, 2008