E-News: Fair Election
To subscribe or unsubscribe to CVD's monthly
e-mail updates and/or the bi-weekly digest, send an e-mail with subscribe
or unsubscribe instructions to email@example.com.
2, 2004: This month, FairVote is casting a spotlight on the right to
vote and fair election methods around the world. Here at home there are
significant developments as well, including a binding vote for instant runoff
voting upcoming in Burlington (VT), a series of upcoming reform workshops in
North Carolina and increasing calls for a right to vote in our Constitution.
December 21, 2004: End of the year request for support, FairVote's Year in Review 2004, and Rob Richie & Steven Hill lay out plans for 2005 in an article featured in Tom Paine.
December 10, 2004: Analysis of Election 2004, San Francisco lauded for
successful IRV election, importing democracy, and FairVote gears up for a busy 2005!
November 5, 2004: Big wins for instant runoff voting in cities,
We still need to protect our right to vote, Election 2004: Revealing and surprising facts.
November 2, 2004: CSPAN covers
FairVote news conference / Other media, FairVote releases guide to election
night on website, Reminder: Couch Pundit contest / Election night party, New
York Times on how to make sure you cast a valid vote, Harvard Crimson endorses
direct election with instant runoff
October 28, 2004: A frozen House /
Disrespected right / Indirect election, Latest high-profile instant runoff (IRV)
media in Washington Post, IRV news: New federal bill, Ferndale, youth debate,
Canada; FairVote reps on NPR and other high-profile venues, DC Area: Election
night party, Highlights of recent webpostings: John Anderson commentary, reform
progress here and abroad, more.
September 30, 2004:
NY Times features instant runoff voting, CVD Board member Malia Lazu on the
"American Candidate," Nirvana's Krist Novoselic on tour for book and
FairVote, Highlights of recent webpostings.
May 21, 2004: Instant runoffs at Utah
Republican convention, cumulative voting in Amarillo and corporations, welcoming
David Moon to CVD, register to vote on-line, efforts to secure funding for
elections, India's election – and a call for full representation, UC-Davis and
fair student elections, CVD commentary in the Washington Post and Legal Times,
voting rights amendment gathers support, an integrated U.S. Senate?, and books
by George Farah and Hendrik Hertzberg.
April 30, 2004:
Supreme Court okays political gerrymandering, Utah Republicans gear up for IRV
election on May 8, right-to-vote amendment gathers support, more universities
adopt instant runoff voting, new/updated CVD reports on non-majority winners,
monopoly Politics projections, voter turnout, key gains for full representation
in Canada and UK, South Africa's third full representation election, and
featured commentary: Richie/Hill on presidential battlegrounds.
March 4, 2004: Win for IRV in Berkeley,
new Illinois poll, and more.
January 16, 2004: Full
Representation, The Right to Vote, and more.
December 19, 2003: Year-end
letter from CVD chairman John Anderson. The Center's long-time chairman
reports on the Center's activities in 2003 and plans for 2004.
December 12, 2003
Supreme Court and Democracy,
Dean and IRV, and more.
November 6, 2003
E-mail Newsletter: Election 2003 Analysis, Reserving
Your Room for the Nov. 21-23 Conference, Public Radio Specials, and
October 24, 2003
E-mail Newsletter: One month to the "Claim Democracy
Conference," HAVA update, Texas Redistricting, Voter Turnout in the
CA Recall Election, and more.
October 2, 2003 E-mail
Newsletter: "Claim Democracy" Conference, NPR's
"Marketplace" Covers IRV, and more.
July 2, 2003 E-mail
Newsletter: Texas Redistricting Highlights, CVD's Democracy
Initiative, IRV in
San Francisco and more.
2003 E-mail Newsletter: Democracy in America, IRV Legislation,
Election Reform Hits Campuses, New Resources for Advocates, and more.
February 14, 2003
E-mail Newsletter: Funds for Reform, IRV/Full
Representation Bills in Congress and in States, and more.
2002 Online Digest: Lessons for 2004 from Louisiana, updates,
and media coverage of European Political Tidings.
November 14, 2002
E-mail Newsletter: Election 2002 index, updates, media
coverage of electoral reform,and monopoly politics 2004 predictions.
November 2002 Voting
and Democracy Review: The Center's Fall 2002 newsletter includes an
analysis of "No-Choice Elections", a Voting Systems Reform Update, and
November 1, 2002
E-mail Newsletter: Pre-Election update with news on upcoming media
coverage of electoral reform and new commentaries.
October 31, 2002 Online
Digest: Commentary from senior analyst Steven Hill on the
stalling growth of women legislators, Nancy Pelosi and winner-take-all and
more, plus Rob Richie's list of the ten races to watch on Election
October 16, 2002
E-mail Newsletter : Update on federal election reform legislation,
Monopoly Politics 2002, and recent commentaries.
2002 Online Digest: The inaugural edition of the Center's new
digest of short items about current news and opinion regarding politics,
representative democracy and
political reform, edited by executive director Rob Richie and
senior analyst Steven Hill.
: Update from the Alaska campaign trail, including key
commentaries from Alaska newspapers.
: CVD's Anniversary message, with updates on
recent activities, full representation and IRV developments, Steven Hill's new book, and a review of
redistricting in the states.
March 11, 2002 : The
Victory Update, in which Executive Director Rob Richie breaks the good
news about instant runoff voting in San Francisco and Vermont. Also,
news from recent weeks and new links.
October 2001 : A late-October Update From
the Field from National Field Director Dan Johnson-Weinberger, with the
latest news from the states, important upcoming dates and how you can get
September 2001 : The September Update From
the Field from National Field Director Dan Johnson-Weinberger, with reform
activities in the states and what you can do.
: Instant runoff voting on San Francisco ballot in
March; More big IRV news from states across the nation; Cumulative voting
gains big-name support in Illinois; "Redistricting Central": Updates from
all 50 states; Modernizing election administration: the time is now; CVD
president John Anderson's Carter-Ford testimony; Are your county and state
democracy-ready? Find out!; Voting rights: ACLU policy on full rep, more;
Exciting job opening: Full Representation Project Dir.; Endorsements mount
- add your name to growing list; Resources: New articles, books and web
pages / links; Shorts: Legislation needs your support, breakthrough for
choice voting in New Zealand, British elections analysis, Demos
"Dispatches" and mapping effort, successful pro-democracy events,
Bouricius on NPR; Getting involved: packet, online IRV demo, interns;
Double your online gift for real electoral reform!
April 6, 2001
: Instant runoff voting legislation in 12 states & Congress
Proportional voting legislation in states & Congress; City efforts
likely to lead to ballot measures in 2001; Pro-democracy conference June
29-July 1 in Phila.; May 4 event on proportional voting in New York City;
Electoral reform movement gathers strength; Media coverage: Important new
articles, books, more and CVD on CSPAN, Fox, NBC & CNN; New CVD web
reports on diversity, competitiveness; Pro rep movements in Canada and
United Kingdom; Getting active: Equipment, demo elections, legislation;
and calling on interns... Join the CVD team!; USA Today editorial in favor
of instant runoff voting
Year end report 2000 and thank you to supporters.
Now is the time for voting system reform.
Thanksgiving 2000: A Thanksgiving chorus:
Modernize our elections! The still unresolved presidential election has
brought unprecedented attention to our ideas about electoral reform.
November 7, 2000: Comprehensive Election
Day 2000 update with analysis of presidential and congressional races; new CVD
analyses of redistricting, competition, the breakdown of majority rule; results
of "Why Don't We Vote?" essay contest; extensive media coverage of
electoral reform, including several new CVD commentaries; events future and
past; and more.
August 4, 2000: - August 4 Update: News items on CVD commentary in Washington
Post, Sierra Club endorsement of PR, ICANN's decision to use IRV for worldwide
elections, new CVD factsheets, CVD report on blanket primaries and more
- July 13, 2000: - LWV votes for national study, Cumulative voting in
Amarillo, Anderson NY Times op-ed, PR and IRV showcased in the London
Mayor's race, redistricting roulette, CVD commentary, notable articles,
essay contest and new educational materials
- News from British Columbia, Canada: BC Liberals policy, Canadian
Alliance policy, Making Votes Count Conference May 13, Miscellaneous
- Excerpts from A study of at-large elections for the Internet Corporation
for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
- See which states use proportional representation to allocate their
delegates and track the delegate race so far. Republican Primaries, Democratic
Campaign Events 2000 The major scheduled events from '98-'99 as compiled
- February 9, 2000 Sacramento Bee plugs PR, other commentaries; RNC
chair suggests proportional representation; Pro- PR candidates; Illinois
events; PR in Iowa; more...
- The Year-End Report from CVD President John B. Anderson, recent
developments in electoral reform, and Executive Director Rob Richie's
summary of "Voting System Reform On the Move" 12/99
- Voting and Democracy Review 10/99 Read the Center's newsletter online:
lead article on Instant Runoff Voting, plus Congress Debates PR!
- Electronic Bulletin from the Electoral Reform Society
- October 16, 1999: Rush Limbaugh says IRV is "a great idea."
- October 15, 1999: Triple Threat: Cumulative voting for Illinois
- October 13, 1999: San Francisco Supervisor Proposes Instant Runoff
- October 13, 1999: Voting rules in the news of the Czech Republic, Poland,
the UK, Ireland and Taiwan.
- October 4, 1999: Supreme Court takes new voting rights case; Asian
Americans and proportional voting; Northern Ireland and choice voting method
- September 10, 1999: three important events taking place next week:
- August 1, 1999 a: Milosevic opposes, Blair and Kim support PR.
- August 1, 1999 b: Japan, Ireland, Fiji
- August 1, 1999 c: Zimbabwe, South Africa, Philippines, Thailand, Hong Kong
- July 22, 1999: IRV for counties, Jenkins for Make Votes Count,
- July 2, 1999: South Africa, ACLU, League of Women Voters, UK, Guns &
- July 1, 1999: CVD expands!
- June 28, 1999: European Parliament elections in the United Kingdom
- June 28, 1999: Proportional Representation in Scotland
- June 6, 1999: Proportional Representation in Scotland and Wales
- June 2, 1999: PR & CVD Are Alive, Kicking, and Growing
- March 3, 1999: International Voting Systems News/UK in the Spotlight
- February 8, 1999: Election follow-up and new book, Reflecting All of Us
- December 22, 1998: Promised Articles
- December 21, 1998: Fixing a Broken Politics
- November 13, 1998: Welcoming Ventura - commentary/election stats.
- November 2, 1998: Elections: As They Are...and As They Could Be
- October 9, 1998: MN Conference, SF Recap, Washington Post Column
- August 31, 1998: 1998 Conferences, News on Voting System Reform
- August 15, 1998: "Electing the People's House 1998"
- July 12, 1998: Fall Conferences! Attend and Participate
- July 2, 1998: Transferable Ballots w/Instant Runoff and Choice Voting
- June 19, 1998: NYC, Northern Ireland, Illinois
- June 6, 1998: Northern Ireland -- PR continues to break out in the UK
- June 2, 1998: John Anderson's May 1998 commentary on Supreme Court ruling
- June 2, 1998: Reuters article on British Support for PR
- May 10, 1998: Call for panelists at CV&D Conferences in September 1998
and November 1998
- April 26, 1998: 1998 Conferences, Web Site, PR News
- March 31, 1998: Lani Guinier's "Lift Every Voice" and April 1
- January 22, 1998: Northern Ireland Peace Plan (of course) calls for PR
- December 21, 1997: Pro-PR resolution adopted by National Black Caucus of
- November 15, 1997: Rep. Cynthia McKinney introduces new, improved Voters'
Choice Act in Congress
- November 2, 1997: Irish presidential election; plug for PR by American
Reform party; and more
- October 31, 1997: Election Day 1997 commentary
- October 22, 1997: Ukraine, NY City, Natl. Law. Guild
- October 14, 1997: Oregon's campaign for proportional representation
- October 10, 1997: Memorable Quotes: Ukraine, US PIRG, Sam Smith, etc.
- September 20, 1997: PR breaking out all over UK
- August 9, 1998: Resources, Instant Run-Off, Oregon Campaign, Monopoly
- July 25, 1997: Update: Monopoly Politics/Review of International Elections
- July 16, 1997: PR for UK's Elections to European Parliament
- July 9, 1997: Mexico; US Developments; US ; Italy; UK; web sites
- June 20, 1997: Update: Pro-PR resolution by Southern California ADA,
Working with the League of Women Voters
- June 19, 1997: Supreme Court VRA, Voters' Choice Act
- June 8, 1997: Ireland, France, Canada, New York (school boards),
Minnesota, Book Publishing
- June 3, 1997: Canadian Elections
- May 29, 1997: Canada, Limited Voting Case, France
- May 20, 1997: Part 1 - Voting rights, Non-competitive races, Ireland,
Turkey, electoral systems, new books
- May 20, 1997: Part 2 - United Kingdom, Italy, France, Albania, new books
- May 5, 1997: British elections / British Poll on PR
- April 30, 1997: Update: Pop Quiz, Fusion Ruling, International Elections
- March 31, 1997: Update: ACLU-Washington on PR, more
- March 13, 1997: "Study Circles" in Minnesota
- February 8, 1997: NY Times Commentary on Campaign Finance
- January 21, 1997
- December 31, 1996: A look back at 1996, by CV&D President John
- December 21, 1996
- November 6, 1996
- October 2, 1996
- October 1, 1996: International update
- September 30, 1996
- September 25, 1996