Educational Tools and MaterialsOne of the best ways to convince people of the benefits of choice voting is through mock elections. See our
rules for how to conduct choice-voting hand counts quickly and simply.
FairVote has produced a variety of downloadable tools and materials which can be used to teach about full representation and to organize citizens to bring about reform.
- New: Choice Voting Powerpoint Explains the advantages and mechanics of choice voting. This powerpoint was created for a commission examining electoral reform in Greenbelt, MD. (.ppt 1.18 MB)
- Proportional Voting Powerpoint Explains the problems with a winner-take-all system, the advantages of full representation and the mechanics of voting systems currently in use in America. (.ppt 507 KB)
- Choice Voting (Single Transferable Vote) Powerpoint Explains the mechanics and benefits of choice voting. This was produced for a client of FairVote's Election Services Group. (.ppt 507 KB)
- How Effective is Your Election System? A Survey for communities which believe they might have a Voting Rights Act Case helping them to assess whether or not a full representation system would be a solution to their problems. (.pdf 37.7 KB)
- Full Representation Election Systems Manual A joint project of the Southern Center for Studies in Public Policy and FairVote-the Center for Voting and Democracy. A comprehensive explanation of full representation systems with specific reference to the Voting Rights Act. (.rtf 5.1 MB)
- Sample Testimony for City Charter Commissions Information
for commissions set up to review city charters explaining full
representation systems and their effect on who wins representation.
(.pdf 588 KB)
- Let's Have Pizza for Dinner Explaination of the basic principle of full representation (.pdf 268 KB)
- Choice Voting Information about the voting and counting procedures for choice voting, and where it is used in the United States (.pdf 46.4 KB)
- Cumulative Voting at work in Texas How cumulative voting has benefited communities of color in Texas (.pdf 108 KB)
- Full and Fair Representation in Alabama Winning a fair share of power with cumulative and limited voting (.pdf 116 KB)
- The One Vote System: North Carolina's Model for Communities Information on limited voting in North Carolina (.pdf 94.4 KB)
- Youth and Student Political Empowerment Advice for young people interested in full representation systems (.pdf 151 KB)