So Where Can You Use STV and Choice Voting?Great question.
STV can only be used in multi-seat elections. Generally, most schools elect people in single-seat elections. (i.e. your student body president is an example of a single-seat election. There may be multiple people running for one possible position). However, schools may also elect individuals in a multi-seat race (i.e. a student Senate is a good example of a multi-seat election. There may be multiple people running for 2 or more positions. Therefore, you elect more than one person to this position). STV can be used in any election where 2 or more people are elected to a title position.
Here are some examples of where STV can be used (the list is certainly not complete):
- Judicial Branch
- Board of Directors
- Your campus newspaper Board of Directors
- Head Boy and/or Head Girl of a residence
- Environmental Representatives (if there is more than one)
- First Year Representatives (if there is more than one)
- Co-chairs of any organization
- Co-presidents of any organization
- Any other organization which requires more than one person to hold the same position