Organizations & CorporationsRecommended by Robert’s Rules of Order for organizational elections conducted by mail, instant runoff voting (called “preferential voting” in Robert’s rules) is used widely among organizations. Here is a partial list of such organizations, updated in March 2009. (If you know of additions, please send a note as well as a link to the organization to [email protected])
Highlighted Uses of Instant Runoff Voting by Organizations and Corporations
- American Association of University Women (President, Vice President) - Founded in 1881 to advocate for education and equity; approximately 100,000 members, 1,000 branches, and 500 college/university institution partners.
- American Chemical Society (President, District Director) - The world's largest scientific society.
- American Educational Research Association (all elections with two or more candidates) - Prominent professional association of educators.
- American Geophysical Union (President, General Secretary and International Secretary) - A worldwide scientific community that advances, through unselfish cooperation in research, the understanding of the Earth and space for the benefit of humanity.
- American Medical Student Association (President, Vice President for Membership, Vice President for Finances, Secretary, Vice President for Programming) - The oldest and largest independent association of physicians-in-training in the United States.
- American Mensa (Chairman, First Vice-Chairman, Second Vice-Chairman, Secretary, and Treasurer) - Organization for people who score in the top 2 percent of the general population on an accepted standardized intelligence test; over 50,000 members.
- American Political Science Association (President) - Founded in 1903, it is the leading professional organization for the study of political science and serves more than 15,000 members in over 80 countries.
- American Psychiatric Association (all elections with two or more candidates) - Its more than 38,000 members worldwide work to ensure humane care and effective treatment for all persons with mental disorder.
- American Psychological Association (President, Divisional Representatives to the Council of Representatives, six Members-At-Large of the Executive Committee) - A scientific
and professional organization that represents psychology in the United States; the largest association of psychologists
worldwide, with approximately 150,000 members.
- Canadian Wheat Board (Board of Directors) - The largest single seller of wheat and barley in the world, holding more than 20% of the international market.
- Consortium of College and University Media Centers (President, Secretary, Treasurer, Directors) - A dynamic organization whose mission is to provide leadership and a forum for information exchange; over 750 members representing all sizes of institutions in higher learning.
- Hugo and Campbell Science Fiction Awards - Given annually by the World Science Fiction Society since 1955 to the best works of science fiction literature.
- International Psychoanalytical Association (President, Treasurer) - Professional association for pyschoanalysts worldwide; founded in 1910 by Carl Gustav Jung and Sigmund Freud, among others.
- Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (At Large) - A not-for-profit public-benefit corporation with participants from all over the world dedicated to keeping the Internet secure, stable and interoperable.
- National Organization for Women (Regional Board Members, President, Vice President - Executive, Vice President - Action, Vice President - Membership) - Founded in 1966, NOW is the largest organization of feminist activists in the United States, with more than 500,000 contributing members and more than 500 local and campus affiliates in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Other Uses of Instant Runoff Voting by Organizations and Corporations
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (executive officers, Directors elected at large)
- American Philological Association (all elections)
- American Philosophical Association - Pacific Division (President, Vice President, a Secretary-Treasurer, Pacific Division representative to the national Board of Officers)
- Association for Arkansas Legal Support Professionals (President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer)
- Bluenose Autosport Club (Executive)
- Brown Democrats (club officers)
- Cache County Republican Party (UT) (county convention and Central Committee meetings)
- Chaine des Rotisseurs, Bailliage des Etats-Unis (Bailli, National Officers)
- Classification Society (Member Representatives to the Council of the International Federation of Classification Societies)
- Cleveland County Green Party (OK) (Treasurer, Secretary)
- Coastside Democrats (San Mateo County, CA) (President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, At Large Board Members)
- Colorado's 26th District Democratic Vacancy Committee used IRV to fill a seat in March 2006
- Cook County Green Party (IL) (Chair, Secretary, Treasurer)
- Cornell University, Johnson School Faculty Policy Committee (Committee Members). The committee uses "consecutive IRV" elections.
- DC for Democracy (Candidate Endorsements)
- Green Party of California (All elections in which there are multiple candidates running for a single seat)
- Green Party of Texas (Co-Chairs, Treasurer; State, County, and District Conventions)
- International Association for Sports Information (President, Vice President)
- International Olympic Committee (note: not pure IRV)
- Iowa Educational Research and Evaluation Association (All Officers and Councilors)
- Legal Staff Professionals of Greenville (SC) (President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Graduate Students Association (President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer)
- Medical College of Georgia Graduate Faculty Assembly (Graduate Council Members)
- Mensa Sacramento (Local Secretary, Activities Coordinator, Treasurer, Secretary, Membership Coordinator, Member-at-Large)
- Midwestern Psychological Association (President, Council Members)
- Minnesota Association of Professional Employees (all offices)
- Montana Green Party (Coordinator, Secretary, Treasurer)
- Mountain Desert District Young Adult and Campus Ministry Network (Steering Committee)
- NALS of Michigan (Scholarships, bids for future annual meeting locations)
- National Electronic Security Alliance (President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer)
- North Carolina Association for Research in Education (Officers and Members of the Board of Directors)
- Pacifica Radio (Board Staff Directors, At Large Director of the Board)
- Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada (President, Vice President)
- Progressive Democrats of Colorado (Executive Committee Members)
- Progressive Party of Missouri (used to nominate candidates for statewide office)
- Public Higher Education Network of Massachusetts (Executive Committee)
- Quota International (President, Treasurer, Directors representing Areas, Executive Director)
- Rhizome (grants)
- Santa Clara County Democratic Club (Executive Board)
- Sevier County Republican Party (UT) (Party Nominees, Party Officers, Delegates, Precinct Officers)
- Sierra Club Student Coalition
- Society for Occupational Health Psychology (President)
- Society for Psychophysiological Research (all elections)
- Society for the Scientific Study of Psychopathy (all elecitons)
- Society for Text and Discourse (Governing Board elections)
- Sonoma County Young Democrats (CA) (Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary/Treasurer, Campaign Director, Policy Director, Members at Large)
- Stonewall Democrats (endorsements)
- Sunset Community Democratic Club (San Francisco, CA) (endorsements)
- Triangle Area Green Party (all decisions involving two or more actions or candidates)
- United Students for Fair Trade (all leadership elections)
- University of Minnesota Department of Education (grievance committee members)
- Wellstone Democratic Renewal Club (Coordinating Council)
- West Chester University Research Consortium (President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Directors)
- Westside Greens (Los Angeles, CA) (Co-Chairs, Treasurer)
**Federal Reserve regional directors are elected by the Bucklin form of ranked voting where all second choices are added to the totals of all first choices.
See the list of universities and colleges that use instant runoff voting
Organizations in the United Kingdom that elect leaders with instant runoff voting and/or choice voting